Many of you share my love of the “Swank” of Frank Sinatra and the “Soul” of Ray Charles. This recording is a celebration of their music and a tribute to them as artists that have inspired, musicians and non-musicians alike.
I have been fortunate to make a life in music-making as a vocalist and a trumpet player in many and varied settings. For this project, I focused on vocals, but overall my aim is to make music in the pursuit of mutual satisfaction for myself, and you: the listeners, dancers, and swing fans.
The recording sessions feature some of the most swinging players that I’ve been fortunate to call friends. It’s been a long time coming. I’m glad it is in your hands and I hope you will enjoy it as much as we all enjoyed creating it.
“Life is a song, let’s sing it together”
1. Nice ‘N’ Easy (Alan Bergman, Marilyn Keith, Lew Spence | Milo Petersen, guitar; Geoff Cooke, bass)
2. Smack Dab In The Middle (Charles E. Calhoun | Jake Bergevin, trumpet solo)
3. Roll With My Baby (Sam Sweet | Travis Ranney, tenor sax solo)
4. Come Fly with Me (Sammy Cahn, James Van Heusen)
5. Fly Me To The Moon (Bart Howard)
6. I’m Gonna Move To The Outskirts Of Town (William Weldon, Roy Jacobs | Milo Petersen, guitar; Geoff Cooke, bass)
7. Hallelujah, I Love Her So (Ray Charles, arr. Geoff Ogle | Jake Bergevin, trumpet “plunger” solo)
8. Minnie The Moocher (Cab Calloway, Irving Mills, Clarence Gaskill | Jim Sisko, trumpet solo)
9. All Of You (Cole Porter | Milo Petersen, solo guitar; Jake Bergevin, flugelhorn solo)
10. The Best Is Yet To Come (Carolyn Leigh, Cy Colman)
11. Big Phat Swing Cats (Jake Bergevin | Travis Ranney, tenor sax solo)
12. Greenbacks (Renald Richard | Dan Haeck, trombone solo)
13. Mary Ann (Ray Charles | Greg Fulton, guitar solo)
14. Let The Good Times Roll (Fleecie Moore, Sam Theard | Travis Ranney, tenor sax solo, Jim Sisko, trumpet solo)
The Javatown Swing Orchestra plays on all tracks except 1, 6 and 9
The Javatown Glee Club sings on tracks 8 and 14
Mark Yeend, drums; R.J. Whitlow, bass; Greg Fulton, guitar; Jim Sisko, trumpet; Travis Ranney, tenor sax; Dan Haeck, trombone
John Sanders (piano) on tracks 3, 5, 7 and 12.
Produced by Jake Bergevin & M’Ocean Music
Recorded, Engineered and Mixed by Mark Hibbert, Whiskey Ridge Studios, Marysville, WA
Mastered by Mark Guenther at Seattle Disc Mastering
Design / Photography
Photography by Daniel Sheehan
Graphics, layout, and art by Steve Jakobsen at n3creative.com